Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

My husband is 47 and over the past year he has been getting

Customer Question

My husband is 47 and over the past year he has been getting sharp charly horse type spasms under neath his rib cage. He just had a bad attack. The spasm comes and goes like a labor contraction every 15 or so seconds when he is having an attach. When it ends after about 2 minutes, he is very sore and you can feel a hard ball below his rib area that is tender. The pain is so sever he says it paralyzes him. The pain is from below his rib cage down to his upper groin area. He says after the attach, it feels like the ball moves and flutters. I have been giving him magnesium and potassium pills daily. I dont know if it is helping or not. He gets them every month or two and has a couple attaches over a day or so when it flares up. Can you help us with some solutions that we could try instead of going to a doctors office.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

This can be very distressing.

Sounds like these are muscle spasms.

Can be triggered by the nerve compression at the spine.

Arthritis of the spine can cause nerve compression supplying under ribcage.

Following natural supplements will also help:

Tonic water or quinine --Works very well --but should be avoided if he has a heart condition.

Magnesium supplements 400 mg daily

VitaminB6 50 mg daily

VitaminB12 1000 mcg daily.

Ginkgo biloba 600 mg daily.

Vitamin D 1000 IU daily

Calcium 1200 mg daily

However, a clinical evaluation by his doctor is also recommended.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I have a different answer for you. I am a top rated clinical doctor of high percentile rank on the internal medicine board exams from the American Board of medical examiners.

Do NOT home treat this.

The possibilities are extensive and most are potentially very serious

Gallbladder disease

Pancreatic disease

Ischemic bowel

Aortic aneurysm

Tumor

And more.

Muscle spasm would be an assumption.

He must have and exam.

Even atypical angina is possible.

No supplement treatments are currently indicated. Without exam and labs, evidence based supplement use is impossible, and guessing can cause more problems, rather than help the situation. For example, if he is hypercalcemic...which is dangerous, adding calcium could be deadly. Or, adding vitamin D.

I am a double board certified US clinical doctor. I am board ceritified in adult clinical medicine, and integrative medicine...we use supplements. You are however, without exam or lab information, or imaging [ultrasound at least]. Do NOT continue trying to manage this on your own, or without the benefit of clinical help.

To be very frank with you, I have seen patients in the past who failed to go to the doctor for such symptoms wind up in the intensive care unit, or worse.

Be safe, err on the side of safety, to not create a dangerous waiting situation at home.

Once you have a diagnosis [we do not diagnose or treat on line here] I will be glad, if you find me in medical by request, to go over integrative medicine, which is EVIDENCE based.

Please click a positive for Dr. Thomas.

Come back as needed.