Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS/MRCP(R) U.K
16248889

My MOm is in hospice at home...94 yrs old ...renal failure

Customer Question

My MOm is in hospice at home...94 yrs old ...renal failure for 2 yrs with no treatment...also pulmonary hypertension and using 4 L O2 continuous and high bp...has been doing well for 2 yrs..last week hospice nurse stopped her Bumex because the nurse said
she was not eating or drinking enough....we have had problems in the past with fluid build up and it took a while to get meds right ....bp meds and duretic...now 5 days after stoppage of bumex she has pronounced shortness of breath so the nurse wants her to
use morphine...we ar all against it and want her to use the bumex again...we realize she is old and sick but feel she needs that diuretic...and also realize that morphine is used very frequently in hospice situations....that would be ok for pain but my Mom
has no pain..
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question, only diuretic that has shown to decrease the mortality and reduce the symptoms is spironolactone in her case, she needs oxygen, plus spironolactone and sildenafil. Morphine can also be used to lower the pulmonary pressure but it is highly addictive and only used in hospital. Let me know if you have questions, Thank you. Do rate as positive, have a nice day.