Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I have a very large, hard, dry stool that will not pass. I

Customer Question

Hi. I have a very large, hard, dry stool that will not pass. I had a normal bowel movement only a day and a half ago......I've had this hard/large stool issue 3 times over past year. In the past, a suppository seemed to work but this time I went right to Fleet Mineral Oil Enema.....passed the oil but no bowel movement. The pressure on the rectum is intense...only relief is jumping in a very hot bath. The stool is about 2-3 inches from anal opening but wont move. Should I go to ER? The urge to go is there it just wont move and causing lots of pain
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Yes

This is dangerous at this point.

Go to the ER.

OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know what ER procedures will be.....will they be able to relieve some of rectal pain/pressure before attempting more enemas? thanks

Manual disimpaction.

Probably that rather than enema.

OK, so that is an initial answer….