Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

Our son has had strep throat 4 times and mono in the last 6

Customer Question

Our son has had strep throat 4 times and mono in the last 6 months. He is still feeling so fatigued and achy. Is there something else that could cause this to keep happening?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

he could be having allergies which cause post nasal drip which can increase risks for throat infection.

he might have an autoimmune disorder or immunocompromised condition which can weaken his immune system and cause more common infections.

his strep throat infections could be resistant to antibiotics which are used for him.

does he get throat cultures each time he gets strep throat?

does he have runny nose or sinus or allergy symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he has had throat cultures when drs told him he had strep. At the end of September he found out he has mono. He seemed to be getting better after about 6 weeks and then got sick again. No strep when tested 2 weeks ago, but he just called and said that his muscles hurt so bad and he does not want to get out of bed, his voice is raspy too. I know that he has also had issue with cold sores. He is allergic to penicillin too. He said he feels like something bad is wrong with him. He has always been so healthy (22 years old). I did schedule him for a complete checkup but got worried when he called and said that!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No allergies that I know of or sinus issues.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

he should make sure he washes his hands frequently, this is the most common way germs and viruses get spread.

mono infection can cause severe fatigue and achy muscles.

that is good he is going to see a doctor and get a complete checkup.

he should get his thyroid hormone levels, iron, B12 and vitamin D levels checked as well.

if he has mucus in his throat, he might benefit from allergy medications or acid reflux medications or mucinex which could help

I hope he gets better soon.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com