Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I am constipated and have been since ive been on pain meds.

Customer Question

I am constipated and have been since ive been on pain meds. Lsdt vowel movements gave been very hard to pass and last nine was last Sunday. I took a whole bottle of nag citrate 12 hours ago and I have urge to go but nothing but pain
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Basically for opiate induced constipation it is advised that you use stool softeners which moisten the stool by drawing water from the intestines. Examples of such medications include Colace and Surfak. Also with all kinds of laxatives, at least 6 to 8 glasses (8 ounces each) of liquids should be taken each day, and this will help make the stool softer.

Another option would be to take senna which is an FDA-approved nonprescription laxative. Also a combination of senna and docusate is available (PeriColace, Senna Plus, Senna-S, Senokot-S). You can take this combination now to have the bowel movement. However if still you are unable to have a movement or develop any new symptoms such as abdominal pain then please consult your doctor for prescription medications to treat your constipation.

Also you need to add fiber to your diet which will increase the weight of your stool and speed its passage through your intestines. Start eating more fresh fruits and vegetables each day, and choose whole-grain breads and cereals.

Take care.