Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I am having pain under my right rib almost feels like a when

Customer Question

I am having pain under my right rib almost feels like a when I was pregnant and the baby was in my ribs. But it's mostly in the evening while sitting
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Is the pain sharp or dull or burning or would you describe it in a different way?

Does it hurt to take a deep breath?

Do you have any nausea? Does the pain radiate to the back?

Is the skin sensitive to the touch?

Do you have any rash?

Does it hurt to press in on this area of the ribs?

Getting a better idea of the details and quality of your pain may be helpful for me to discuss possible causes with you...

How long has this been going on?

Have you had a recent cough ?

Do you have any medical conditions or take any medications at this time?

You have no shortness of breath do you?

Let em know of these details and I will get back with you! Best Regards ***** ***** !

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also was diagnosed with fibromyalga. I first noticed the pain after I had severe constipation from taking cymbalta. I have stopped the cymbalta. I have no pain to the touch. Just when I sit or slouch. I don't get the pain till evening and does go away when I lay down. The pain is a sore pain.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have nurocardiogenic syncope and ins. I also am very bloated like I'm nine months pregnant but that's not possible
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Weight gain not lose

Hello again,

OK so the pain that you feel is more of the chest and not of the abdomen , right ( wondering about the constipation) Also wonder as to inflammation of the liver but right upper quadrant ABDOMINAL pain may more fit with that...

If you have soreness to press on the inner aspect of the lower ribcage then it could be due to COSTOCHONDRITIS as a possible cause... that is inflammation affecting the cartilages between the sternum and the ribs...

You don't have pain to take a deep breath ??

Sitting or slouching but not laying down... that may be musculoskeletal as a possible cause .. do you feel bloated??

And no abdominal pain and no nausea , correct ??

I'm also considering that if you had some reason for liver inflammation such as fatty liver disease or mono even then then pressure on the liver may be increased with sitting or bending forward but less with laying back...

Any back pain or no ??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only pain while sitting very seldom standing. It isn't sore to the touch Just a feeling of soreness. It is just below the right side rib but closer to the Center than the outside rib.always the same spot. No back pain. Pain goes away when laying down. I was worried about the liver because of the cymbalta
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No nausea
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
horribly bloated with gas and belching
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also have heartburn

The bloating plus discomfort COULD be due to constipation.. how recent was last BM ?

You may benefit to try Miralax (over the counter ) One dose as directed with 8 ounces of fluid once each evening for a few days may alleviate constipation...

I think some aspects of the pain and aggravating factors might fit with the liver but if you have only taken the Cymbalta a short time then I would think that medicine would be low risk to you with regard to your liver...

If it continues into next week then i would advise that you check with your doctor

I would probably try to alleviate the constipation adn see if that helps..

If pain is so much that it interferes with sleep OR you have development of abdominal pain PLUS FEVER ( TEMP > 101.5) OR other concerning symptoms then be seen sooner..

OK with you having the heartburn as well you might have gastritis or ulcer as possible cause ...

So >> I would avoid GI irritants ( coffee, alcoholic drinks, hot spicy or acidic foods) avoid anti-inflammatory meds as well ...

Youmay benefit to try an antacid such as TUMS or Mylanta and see if this gives you any sense of relief...

You could start a daily medicine such as Nexium or Prilosec or Prevacid which reduces the daily stomach acid production >> then follow up with your doctor next week..

If you had gastritis or ulcer then these measures may begin to give you significant relief by next week...

I agree with holding off on the Cymbalta as the trouble started since you began this medicine but I am not sure that this is your culprit either...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Constipation is gone now. Have had normal daily bowel movements for a week, but pain, bloating , and gas is still there. I take a antacid daily. I had been on the cymbalta for about 3 months before stopping
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just before the cymbalta I was on celebrex.

OK, I see >> well try the measures to more effectively reduce stomach acid as I described and work to make your diet more bland this next week...

Watch for RED FLAG type symptoms and get more immediate attention if these should occur ..

FEVER ( Temp >101.5)

Blood in stool or bloody diarrhea

More intense pain such that you can't sleep through it...

Vomiting plus the abdominal pain...

Celebrex is an NSAID too but usually this is well tolerated by MOST people as far as not irritating the stomach so much BUT I have seen patients also have trouble with Celebrex as well...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks

With your fibromyalgia this os often aggravated by poor sleep quality >. do you think that this may be the case with you? I have had good luck with Ambien at bedtime with some patients or a similar sleep aid...

You are very welcome... Let me know if I may be of further help!

Take care !

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could be sleep habits. I'm still learning about fibromyalgia. Seems to cause lots of things

Hello again,

Right it is a very aggravating condition. That tends to NOT respond well to NSAIDs by the way.. The Cymbalta was likley for that.. Lyrica may be an option to help.. As I said I have seen pretty good results with a sleep aid such as Ambien or Lunesta ...

I hope that this is helpful for you. Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD