Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

My son is 7 years old and around 7-8 weeks ago I felt a lump

Customer Question

My son is 7 years old and around 7-8 weeks ago I felt a lump along his left jawline with some swelling. About a week later after seeing a GP, it started to become a bit sensitive to touch. Dental X-rays showed no tooth was causing the pain or lump, but the dentist was sure that it was the cause and extracted his tooth. The swelling went down within two days but the lump remained. 6 days ago the lump swelled again and became painful. More X-rays showed no tooth being the cause but he was put on antibiotics 5 days ago. The lump is the same and swelling still there. Abscess has been ruled out. Blood was normal. But he has swollen lymph nodes in his neck that showed up on an ultrasound and also the last two nights I checked him he has been in a pool of sweat in his bed but no fever. I'm at a loss as to what it is as its a noticeable lump that's sensitive to touch but no other symptoms?
Category: Medical
Expert:  dr.behere replied 1 year ago.

Can you please upload the X rays as well a photo of the swelling? Without that it would be difficult to give you a good answer.

Regards,

Dr.Behere

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a copy of his ultrasound, but were told by a doctor that there definitely a lump there but he doesn't know what it is. There's no pain inside his mouth or with any of his teeth either. Thank you :)
Expert:  dr.behere replied 1 year ago.

I have received your photos, I'll get back to asap, driving at the moment.

Regards,

Dr.Behere

Expert:  dr.behere replied 1 year ago.

I've seen all the three images.

Yes, I agree with you, there is absolutely nothing to indicate that the swelling has any dental cause.

In fact, I do not think this issue is related to his oral cavity. It is best if this question is handled by a physician. If you want, I will change the category of this question to Medical. Should I do that?

Regards,

Dr.Behere

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will I need to pay an extra $48?
Expert:  dr.behere replied 1 year ago.

No,no, you won't, don't worry.

I will post a request for a change of category.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much :). I appreciate it
Expert:  dr.behere replied 1 year ago.

I have sent a request to the site moderators. Such cases take a bit of time, since I have already posted responses, they need to check and verify whether this is a genuine case of a miscategorised question.

To speed things up, please drop a mail to the site help section , quoting the URL of your question.

Regards,

Dr.BehereDr.Behere