Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I stopped the pravachol but continued to have intestinal

Customer Question

I stopped the pravachol but continued to have intestinal problems. It seems that my stools never form then i feel totally full and i dont go to the barhroom in 4 days. I have taken Milk of Magnesia a couple of times but the problem continues. Could these be symptoms of liver or gallbladder disease? My stool is pale and malodorous. Could it be an infection? Ive had it for 7 weeks. Thank you
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

An exam is needed.

If you have not had a colonoscopy in the last 5 years [age 50 is when we start screening] that is what is needed.

This can be irritable bowel.

Polps

Stricture

Diverticulosis

Constipation due to bad diet and lack of exercise.

Other.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had three colonoscopies already in the past 10 years most recently in 2013 but the only finding was collagenous colitis. I cant get a doctors appointment for one month. Would antibiotics help in rhe meantime? Thank you

There is nothing over the counter, other than pepto bismal which I would suggest.

Antibiotics would not help unless you have a positive stool sample.

That can be done now for testing on your doctors order.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont want a diet i am a dietitian and am on a special diet. Just wNted to know if antibiotics may help

They will ultimately make things worse unless you have a pathogen, which is not usually the case.