DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I have had a congested albeit productive cough 4 days, a

Customer Question

I have had a congested albeit productive cough for about 4 days, a temp of 97.1 and I am fatigued. I suspect its a minor case of bronchitis caused after sitting by an very, very smokey outdoor fire in VT last weekend. I happened to have a doctor's appointment 2 days ago and he indicated he hears "something" in my right lung and to watch for signs of pneumonia. Other than the cough, fatigue and lower temp, I feel fine. Does this sound like a viral infection that will eventually clear up on its own?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

If the doctor heard something in the lung and if you are not improving, I would get a chest x ray.

There is absolutely no way to say this is a viral infection or bacterial.

Atypical pneumonia can act just like this.

However, if you "feel fine" this goes against pneumonia.

Keep in mind, however, that younger healthier individuals can walk around with atypical pneumonia for some time before they get sick.

Lung sounds are either characteristic of pneumonia or not.

Something 'IN' the lung would indicated a problem.

Sounds that indicate bronchial inflammation to not indicate so much of a problem.

I would question your doctor on this.

I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Please click a positive rating.

That is how we are paid , per rating.

Let me know if you have further questions.