Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I drink a lot. sometime my back area hurts and I get cramps

Customer Question

i drink a lot. sometime my back area hurts and I get cramps in my lower back and abdomen after a long time of drinking. I Know the main problem is alcohol abuse. just wondering what the symptoms say
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

your back pain could be due to inflammation of your pancreas called pancreatitis which can cause abdominal pain, nausea, lack of appetite and pain radiating back to your back.

your back pain could be due to inflammation of your stomach due to alcohol irritating your stomach and causing stomach inflammation called gastritis. severe gastritis can lead to a stomach ulcer which is wearing away of the stomach lining.

your cramps could be your stomach lining spasming or abdominal muscles spasming from your alcohol use.

you need to go to the hospital or your doctor right away to ask for help quitting alcohol and an upper endoscopy scope to check on your stomach to look for stomach ulcers.

you need blood work to check on your liver and pancreas to check for pancreatitis.

this is quite serious. heavy alcohol use could end your life

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you sir for that evaluation. I kind of thought that's what it was. being a drunk it's hard to quit. thank you again,
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com