Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

In the past two weeks my feet and ankels have swelled up and

Customer Question

In the past two weeks my feet and ankels have swelled up and now my calfes as well, I am getting nightly leg cramps this has never happened before. I have no other medical issues, take no drugs and have not had a physical or been to a doctor in 25 years since I got out of the army.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Are the calves tender as well when you press on them? Do you have any difficulty in breathing? Any other symptom such as increased appetite, or urination? What is your weight and height? What is your daily work, any difference in the last two weeks? Are the veins in your legs unusually prominent?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Calves are swelling but they don't hurt. No difficulty breathing, no other symptoms. Height is 6 feet about 200 lbs, wearing the same cloths for years. Have been changes in my work, spending a lot more time behind a desk in the last two months than normal. Negative on the veins in my legs....???
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

Basically siting too long in the same position such as how you are spending more time behind a desk may be reason for the leg swelling that you are having. The characteristic of this type of swelling of the legs is that this usually affects the foot and disappears with rest and leg elevation. However if your leg swelling is not disappearing with leg elevation or rest then further investigations are indicated and this may not necessarily be due to prolonged sitting though that may be an additional contributing factor as well. You need to have your thyroid hormones tested since they may cause the cramps as well as the swelling of the legs. Another would be dehydration and not taking enough fluids daily. The night leg cramps may also occur due to sitting for long periods of time.

So I would suggest that you take intervals during your sitting time and do some exercises or walk for 5 mins every hour to stimulate the circulation in your legs. You must also take adequate fluids and drink six to eight glasses of water each day. And if despite doing this for another week if the leg swelling continues then consult your doctor and have the thyroid tests as well as any other tests which your doctor suggests done.

Take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You Will Do.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

You are welcome.

Please rate the answer with a five star excellent rating.

Thanks.