Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My husband has gh blood pressure controlled with 100mg

Customer Question

My husband has high blood pressure controlled with 100mg Losartan daily. Is it ok for him to take the supplement SAM-e at 400mg daily for mild depression? Any interactions? He also takes a vitamin b-50 complex and an omega 3 daily. Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, it would be OK for someone taking losartan, a B-complex vitamin, and omega-3 to take the SAM-e supplement. There are no known adverse interactions between the SAM-e and the losartan or either of these supplements.

If the depression is more severe and is causing significant stress, then the depression may affect how well the losartan is controlling the blood pressure. So the control of blood pressure may get worse, but it would be more of a concern from the condition, not the supplement. This would not cause any concern about the use of the SAM-e, but it would be a reason to consider other treatment for the depression if the SAM-e is not effective.

If I have answered all your questions, please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

However, if I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. One more question - if the 400mg of SAM-e wasn't effective, would it still be safe to bump up the dosage to 800mg? Or I've even read online that for it to be effective in treating depression, one might need to take 1600mg of it?

Yes, it would be safe with the losartan and current supplements to increase the dose to(###) ###-####mg per day, if he does not respond well to the 400 mg dose.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

If done for now, please remember to provide a positive rating, so that I am credited for assisting you.