Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Neurologist/Internist with academic and clinical experience.
64994909

Rick, How much is skype or a call? I am taking simvistatin

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Rick, How much is skype or a call? I am taking simvistatin 5mg 1x, gloucophage 1000 bid, 28 units levimir at night, 17 ui humolog 3x,
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick doesn't seem to be working now. May I take your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am really confused and having a hard time. (I am male 45. Diabetic) About 2 years ago I collapsed and died and was resuscitated in a coma for a couple of days. When I woke I could not walk talk write even hold a spoon. I was told I would never work again. I had a pt try to help me to walk and tried a walker, but I would just fall break a wrist or ribs. Then all of a sudden I started to get better. I have had every test under the sun, they have tried the air tests in my ears. I have had ct scans, none show seizure nor stroke. At times I still just loose strength and balance and also my speech becomes difficult to understand. I also get spastic movements at times and I am not sure what to do. My neurologist suggests seeing an ENT and getting botox in my throat. My psychiatrist had me on Xanax 2mg twice a day, I slowly backed of it because the episodes were not daily. I had asked for something less potent and quick acting but short duration. He moved me to Klonopin and again it just did not help. The one thing that had worked almost immediately was in the hospital I was given valium via iv and that worked in no time at all. I asked to change from klonopin to valium but the tabs just do not work. I have done my own research and believe my symptoms are indicative of Distonia.The neurologist has also prescribed me Zomig and I am taking and have been (adeall 30mg IR 2x). Before I collapsed I was on the highest PDR recommended dosages of xanaex, cymbalta, and a couple of other anti-depressants. The week after is when I collapsed, I wanted to lower the dosages over time but the Dr took me off them. Also my symptoms are magnified and manifest when I get anxiety, as well as when I gp without sleep for a couple of days (I know that is not healthy and am trying to adjust but I am just stressed all the time). Please help.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Is your main problem the dystonia-like movements?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not just the dystonia-like movements, but also the deterioration of speech at times and sudden weakness and loss of balance leading to fall. During the entire times my mind is completely clear and aware. (I am aware of the satisfaction guarantee, if you think you can help with the additional info I will switch to phone in a bit, I am fielding calls for birthday wishes, lol)
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Did you have brain MRI?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had more than one and they showed no sign of seizure nor stroke. Tomorrow morning I am having an MRI brain, MRI C-Spine Dx-HA Gait.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Okay. It means you don't have any brain lesions. They could be the side effects of xanaex, cymbalta, and a couple of other anti-depressants. But the doctor should not take them off suddenly. Sudden stop could cause severe withdrawal symptoms. Your doctor should have tapered the dose slowly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I absolutely agree with you. My previous doctor would have, I am sure would have. I am aware that they should have been tapered. But my ex took me off insurance prematurely and I got medicaid and the new Dr. would not write anything till I took blood tests etc. (I do not/did not use other rec drugs).
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

You should have the blood & urine tests so that your doctor can prescribe them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They put me back on all of them and I slowly weaned myself of the benzos and anti-depressants
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

I think the sudden stop is still harming your health which causes your symptoms. Brian images can't detect the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a medication to stop the symptoms. I have heard botox may work or help. Some say benzos, my Dr gave me valium again but it does not work like it did when I was in the hospital and was given it via IV. That stopped all symptoms in about 5 mins.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

What are your present symptoms?

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

bb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bb? I did not get the mri's I wanted to know if it would be better to get them done with contrast? My symptoms dystonia-like movements, but also the deterioration of speech at times and sudden weakness and loss of balance leading to fall. During the entire times my mind is completely clear and aware. Also I can not eat or drink because I shake too much. If I put a finger by my mouth my teeth chatter like a wood chipper. I have had no medication that provides immediate relief with the exception of IV valium, after maybe 2-5 mins I was completely normal. Orally does not have the same effect. Another instance I had broken my ankle and was having symptoms in the hospital which dissipated within a couple of mins also after being administered IV percocet. Again after the fact orally 30mg had no effect. I have not been an abuser/user of these meds at anytime previously nor am I currently.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I cannot diagnose your condition from here without personal contact and an examination. If you have documents that you wish for me to review, like your emg of the cervical muscles in an evaluation of dystonia, I can do that for you. Please get back to me with questions and I will respond. Dr Frank