Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

While now I have noticed very light pink patches in my

Customer Question

For a while now I have noticed very light pink patches in my stool. I have zero other symptoms. No abdominal pain, weight loss, change in bowl habits. Is this blood? Do I need to make an appointment with my doctor? I'm 33 and female.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also try not to eat anything with red or purple dye in it
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

It is certainly concerning that pink patches in the stool could be due to blood. However, it is possible that a red or pink color could be related to foods that are eaten, even if you are actively trying to avoid foods with red or purple dye. It cannot be determined that it is blood from the appearance alone, unless there is a large amount of blood that is obviously not anything else. In most people, it is necessary to perform a test on the stool to determine whether the red or pink color is from blood.

If it is blood, there are many different conditions that can cause blood in the stool, but the most common in a 33 year old is from inflammation of the bowel or from a vascular abnormality. Blood on the outside of the stool is also commonly from a hemorrhoid, while blood in the substance of the stool usually comes from higher in the colon. In an older person, blood in the stool is more worrisome for cancer, but cancer is much less likely for someone in their 30s.

Even though not as worrisome for cancer, it is still recommended that anyone with red or pink stool should be seen by their doctor, who can perform the stool test for blood and arrange for further evaluation if the test is positive.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent(click on the 5th star).

However, if I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/