Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have a dull aching pain in my left side of my rib cage on

Customer Question

Hello! I have a dull aching pain in my left side of my rib cage on the breastbone. It sometimes travels across the midsection. I have had a chest X-ray and had a stress test . All r normal. I am an active fit 61 year old woman.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

this pain could be due to many potential causes.

it could be due to costochondritis inflammation of the rib and cartilage there. usually NSAID anti-inflammatories such as advil or naproxen helps with rib inflammation and pain.

it could be due to a pinched nerve in your mid back from arthritis or a herniated disk in your back. a MRI scan of your thoracic spine can check on the nerves and disks in your back.

it could be due to acid reflux up from your stomach or esophageal spasms. endoscopy can check for acid damage in your esophagus.

do you have a doctor you can see who can run some tests for you to help find the cause of your pain?