Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I've been taking 150 mg generic Wellbutrin xl tablets two

Customer Question

I've been taking 150 mg generic Wellbutrin xl tablets for about two months (in addition to 20 mg generic Lexapro, which I've been on for years with no noticeable side effects), and experiencing horrible GI discomfort: bloating, gas, constipation. Prior to adding this med I was fairly regular, usually 1 bm a day. No other changes to diet. Primary and psychiatrist haven't been too helpful, just recommend fiber and laxatives, which only seem to cause more bloating/gas and/or diarrhea.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

you need to consult a GI doctor and get more testing.

you could develop new allergies or sensitivities to certain foods such as lactose sugar in milk or casein protein in milk, or gluten wheat protein in pasta, pizza, and breads.

new bowel allergies to certian foods or oils in your diet can cause bloating, gas, constipation

new irritable bowel syndrome can be caused by IBS or irritable bowel syndrome as well.

are you willing to see a GI specialist and get more testing to find out what might be wrong?

wellbutrin can cause abdominal pains, diarrhea, increase gas and flatulence as common side effects after taking it for 2 months.

another option is to taper off of the wellbutrin and see if your symptoms get better.

if they get better, then it was the wellbutrin causing the problems.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

do you have any other questions?