Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Appear to have a cold with lots of coughing. But am also

Customer Question

Appear to have a cold with lots of coughing. But am also experiencing frequent urination and defecation. No diarrhea or constipation.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Not sure what your question is?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why am i experiencing frequent urination, defecation in association with a cough

You need a urinalysis.

The most common cause would be infection.

An enlarged prostate can also cause this.

More rarely, kidney disease, diabetes, or other medical problems.

I would not simply attribute this to a cold.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it a side effect of medication
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could it be side effects of cough/cold medications.....has happened before in similar circumstances

It is not a typical or even reported side effects of your medications.

That is possible, but would be rare.

So, there is not way to say entirely, unless you stop the medications and your symptoms improve fairly quickly.

I would not bank on it.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

The best thing to do would be to bring in all the medication etc that you are taking and consult with your primary care MD. She can do a complete physical exam, lab work and perhaps some special testing to see why you are urinating and defecating so much as well as get to the bottom of your cough.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS