DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

Taking Pantoprazole 40 mg tab to treat Silent Reflux. 10th

Customer Question

Taking Pantoprazole 40 mg tab to treat Silent Reflux. 10th day and my volume and frequency of urination is almost nothing. Normally I go several times an hour. Big water drinker. High alkeline diet. Can't get hold of my ENT. Also take Vesicare as I normally have to go so often.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this question

This is very concerning

Pantoprazole can rarely cause renal failure but it can

I think you need to go to ER and get a kidney check ASAP

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Pantoprazole can potentiate the action of vesicare.

THis may result in urinary retention and henceforth decreased urination.

Kidney failure is unlikely since you do not notice any leg swelling.

However if you start experiencing lower stomach pain, then you may nee bladder catheterization.

Not urgent but do discuss with your doctor.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

It does not matter from what cause, but a urinary blockage can result in kidney damage.

I am a double board certified clinical doctor. We never say wait on a urinary blockage as damage can be irreversible.

I have checked the major pharmaceutical data bases including clinical pharmacology, as well as FDA prescribing information and find no evidence that pantoprazole would augment the effect of vesicare to the point of urinary obstruction. Even if this were the case, examination should not be delayed.

In addition, acute renal damage would not necessarily have swelling in the legs, at least not right away, and the point would be to prevent that symptom.

Not even all chronic renal damage shows this symptom for some time.

In fact, the sudden cessation of urination can happen for multiple reasons, and might not be related to your medications at all. We can not examine you or do testing. But, this is exactly what you need at this point.

DO NOT DELAY THIS ASSESSMENT.

This is not a normal situation. I believe you need immediate assessment, today.

Find me, Dr. Thomas, in the medical category any day of the week, to save time, and for correct, safe, and comprehensive, medical standard of care, answers.

Please click a positive on my answer page for Dr. Thomas to get credit.