Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I recently had blood work taken. I had a baby via c section

Customer Question

I recently had blood work taken. I had a baby via c section 6 weeks ago and I am currently breast feeding. All levels came back normal except for SGPT (alt) came back high at 59, Hemoglobin A1C came back high at 5.8, and Alkaline phosphatase came back
at high 123. I was not fasting, I ate breakfast and had coffee an hour prior to the test. Should I be concerned over this number?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

You had mildly elevated numbers.

For the hemoglobin A1C it is just slightly above normal range. This reflects your blood sugar metabolism. It would be advised that you take steps to consume less frank fast absorbed sugars such as regular soft drinks or pastries and follow up check on that in three months (HgA1C corresponds with what your glucose has been doing for past three months) It is not so high as to call you diabetic -- no to that ...some increased steps to better your diet and increase exercise and follow up are recommended......

In sending this but more of answer is to follow.....

The alkaline phosphatase is slightly elevated above normal range. This by itself is not a major concern. This enzyme is from liver and bone.

A simple follow up on 1 to 2 months to evaluate trend is all that would be advised at this point for that. ....

The ALT of 59 is moderately elevated liver enzyme. It is below 100 which is good and less likely to represent serious inflammation of 99th e liver. It is above 35 and abnormal range so warrants follow up. We advise patients to avoid potential known irritants of the liver such as alcoholic beverages and Tylenol. It is best to review your medicines as some may cause rise of liver enzumymes. I would follow up check in about 6 weeks. It May return to normal with no intervention. If higher then further evaluation of cause may need to be considered ( hepatitis viruses A, B,C, mononucleosis, etc)

Watch for concerning signs such as nausea and right upper quadrant pain.

I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion or concerns.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Question... Does recently having a baby and currently breastfeeding affect these numbers?

Yes to some extent having baby recently and breast feeding may affect a couple of your numbers...

I would not expect to see the elevation of ALT .. but that is moderate in degree and may likley be normal on follow up check...

The Alk phos may be affected as the pregnancy would significantly alter your calcium metabolism and rate of bone turnover which is probably still going on. ( Similarly a growing child has a higher normal range of ALK phos >> so I see no reason to worry about that one...)

The HgA1c test simply reflects the average of your glucose metabolism over the passt three months and it is not suprtising that it may have been higher on average with pregnancy and breast feeding. It is only very slightly above the normal of 5.7 >> so here I don't think you need worry.. I would do a follow up check mainly to ensure it was not drifting higher to suggest a pre-diabetes state (abundance of caution) I expect follow up in a few months will be normal ( below 5.7..)

The ALT is a liver enzyme and I don't see reason that this would be elevated but it is only mildly elevated so here i recommend a follow up check in several weeks. AS I noted if you have trouble with right upper quadrant pain or nausea then that may be increased cause for concern. (Also I don't know the history of you getting the blood work at this time? That might play a factor in this ) Usually if there is any significant elevvation of the liver then we would usually see 1 ) ALT >100 and also 2) AST and other enzymes elevated as well ...

I hope that this is helpful. let me know if you have further questions or information. Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD