Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Sharp pain on the left of my abdomen, about an inch below my

Customer Question

sharp pain on the left of my abdomen, about an inch below my ribs
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Left sided abdominal pain can be due to the stomach inflammation or gastritis.

Nausea, vomiting or pain with meals are typical symptoms.

Usually improve with acid suppressants like Omeprazole twice daily for 2 weeks.

If no other symptoms besides pain, then this can be a muscle sprain related pain as well.

Liver and gallbladder are located on the right side hence not related.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms.

There are a number of conditions which can cause you to have these sort of symptoms.

Gastritis - This is a condition in which the lining of the stomach is inflammed which leads to you having pain underneath the ribs, bloating, burning ane even nausea as well as vomiting. This can be diagnosed on a clinical examination as well as on an endoscopy. The cause can be use of NSAID drugs or even with too much alcohol and caffeine. This cna be treated with drugs like prilosec or pantoprazole or rabeprazole.

Peptic ulcer disease - this is a condition in which you can have pain due to the formation of an ulcer inside the stomach. This can lead to pain after eating and even bleeding from the ulcer which would manifest itself in the form of black colored stools. This can also be due to an infection of the stomach with a bacteria known as H.pyroli. This can be detected with stool for antigen tests as well as urea breath testing. The treatment of this infection is with antibiotics for 10-14 days. the ulcer can be treated with drugs like prilosec.

Now i would suggest that you start taking OTC prilosec which can help with the symptoms and if your symptoms do not improve after a week or so contact your doctor for further investigations such as an endoscopy.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.