Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.
Experience:  General Physician, Family medicine, Internal medicine, all age groups.
88123236

I am really worried and am hoping helpful answers and

Customer Question

I am really worried and am hoping for some helpful answers and reassurance.... I had been suffering with asthma (hadn't had in a long time) and recently had a little streak of blood in my phlegm.
I immediately went to the ER and had a chest x ray and it came back normal. Anyway, he said it was asthma and to follow up with my pulmonologist. I did, he then diagnosed me with bronchitis and gave me levoquin (never had a cold prior to this, so being diagnosed with bronchitis was strange)....
Anyway, finished antibiotic and I never really got better. Asthma continued and I had a little pink stuff in my phlegm, had a panic attack because I was terrified it meant something sinister and awful and ended up in the emergency room. They did a chest CT scan this time which ALSO came back normal and no abnormalities...
Well, I am freaking out because I continue to have phlegm and a little tiny bit of a blood streak in it. I want desperately to believe that I am ok and don't have lung cancer or anything awful, but when I see it, I freak. What could be causing this???? I do have allergies and post nasal drip and asthma, but why the little bit of blood? I do not smoke, I hardly drink and I am a 37 year old female. I used to smoke in my college days, but that's it.
Anyway, I am terrified... can you please help? I feel like I cannot even enjoy the holiday with all this panic. Would something awful like lung cancer have shown up on my Chest CT scan or X ray or what could this be?
Please respond. I am so worried. Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 1 year ago.

Hi Emma,

I'm Dr Chaithanya, experienced General Physician attending you today.

First thing, do not worry, I'm here to help you, and I will completely guide you and make you understand what best is possible.

[Please be with me while I type your next part of answer]

First thing, a lung cancer can be picked by CT scan, so do not worry, and stay calm, you do not have cancer. Do you have any other symptoms like loss of weight, loss of appetite etc? No? So, do not get worried.

There can be blood in sputum in bronchitis. This can cause due to irritation of throat when you cough continuously.

Based on your symptoms, I see your condition is closely related to what is called Bronchiectasis, wher ethe airways are abnormally widened, mucus is bulid up, and lung can get easily infected.

The link can help, http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/bronchiectasis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Now, as yu already have done chest X-ray and CT scan, and still worried about the cause, I can suggest you of next investigation, Bronchoscopy - Here main passages of lungs are examined by a tube with camera to know what exactly is happening.

Do not get worried, as stress can aggravate any pathology that is happening in the body. You can take the help of Psychiatrist who can help you with a drug started at small doses, to relieve your fear about the disease.

Also, go through this link, which can be informative. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coughing-up-blood/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Hope the information helps! Any doubts, please ask me, I will be pleased to answer you or Request you to leave a positive rating [click on the 5th star], only then I'm compensated for the answer from just answer.

A bonus is highly appreciated! It adds to the little amount.

Any questions in future, always get back to me at http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-chaithanya/#re.v/378/

Have a great day!

Hi, How are you now? Did you happen to see the answer. Request you to leave a positive rating [click on the 5th star], only then I'm compensated for my time.

A little bonus is appreciated!

Thank you.