Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

My name is ***** *****! I have a golf ball size lump located

Customer Question

Customer: my name is ***** *****! I have a golf ball size lump located just above my right hip on my side abdomen. Just noticed this last night. No pain, no other symptoms. What could this be?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: this is all i know!
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $34) to post your type of question to Medical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes, thank you
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

There are two possibilities here.

One is an inguinal hernia that will sometimes not cause any symptoms , and you might not know you have one until your doctor or you discover it and you can see and feel the bulge created by the hernia. The bulge is usually more obviously seen when standing upright, especially if you cough or strain.

Another possibility is a lipoma which can also be noticed later after growing in size and is not a serious medical condition. But any lump or swelling anywhere on your body, has to be checked by your doctor.

Rarely this may be a lymph node swelling which may also be painless.

With all these causes in mind your doctor will examine the swelling and then recommend investigation if necessary to diagnose the cause of the swelling.

Take care.