DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I recently received blood work with borderline gh creatinine

Customer Question

I recently received blood work with borderline high creatinine and everything else very normal. I have been taking alot of OTC antiacid for the past 25 years and for about the last 10 years daily 4 - 7 pills dailey. I quit yesterday and started acidophilus which seems to be helping. How likely is the antiacid causing my #s to rise and how long should I wait after terminating antiacids to get blood work done.
Thanks
Sid
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

It is unlikey that antiacids cause the result. Dehydration causes increased creatinine. You might have been dehydrated when the blood was taken.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I have a different answer.

IN any , that means, ANY increase in serum creatine, there is potentially chronic renal failure.

"dehydration" does not cause a high creatinine of the serum in those with healthy kidneys.

If you are within the normal range, no problem.

Over the normal range...see internist or nephrologist...period. If you are over the upper limit of normal, or at the upper limit, this can represent extensive renal damage. Also look at your GFR.

I am a double board certified US doctor.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please click a positive rating. The scale is at the top of the answer page.

You can find me, Dr. Thomas, daily in medical by request. Use a long request lock and "for Dr. Thomas only." in the title.

Nephrology is part of the board certification that I have from the American Board of Internal medicine. Find me anytime for accurate, safe, precise and comprehensive answers.