Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am looking into becoming a hospital volunteer and was told

Customer Question

I am looking into becoming a hospital volunteer and was told that I would need bloodwork to check on what immunity to certain diseases I am still covered for. One of the diseases they will be checking up on is the mmr vaccine. I did have the vaccination a very long time ago and just read up on it. I have heart disease am on a slew of medications and am also anemic. There were red flags saying not to have the vaccine if I'm anemic. Can I still be a volunteer at the hospital if I don't have the vaccine? I do now I had it when I was young, but I don't have the proof for it.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

It does not matter that you do not have the proof. The reason that the blood work is being done is to show whether you are immune. If you had the vaccine previously and the blood work shows that you are immune, there is no issue with the fact that you cannot prove that you received the vaccine. If you are immune, then the vaccine would not be necessary. And there would be no problem with you being a volunteer if you don't have the vaccine.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh I forgot to add that I also had a stroke from a hole in my heart I was born with...

Even with the hole in the heart and the stroke, if you are immune, then there is no need for the vaccine, and there will not be any issue with being a volunteer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about the anemia?

If the blood work shows that you are immune, then there is no need for the vaccine, and there will not be an issue with not receiving the vaccine. And that would be true even with the anemia.

Since you keep asking about these conditions, are you not sure whether you had the vaccine when you were young?

If you are certain that you received the vaccine when you were young, then the blood work will typically show that you are immune and the vaccine will not be needed, and this would be true regardless of which other medical conditions are currently present. I am not sure why you keep asking about other medical conditions, because none of the current medical conditions will alter whether you are immune from the previously administered vaccine.