Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I'm 67.At 21 I had HEP.A.It kicked the out of me bout ten

Customer Question

Hi I'm Rick,I'm 67.At 21 I had HEP.A.It kicked the crap out of me for a bout ten years before my vitality slowly returned.I like to drink a bit.Usually a couple bottles of red wine per week.Lately I have been taking some Serrapeptase enzymes with may have been challenging my liver also.The last bottle of wine threw me into liver crisis.I was very sick and weak.Specifically I was nauseous,my left kidney was slightly sore for a couple weeks.Lack of sleep,loss of appetite,headache,no jaundice though.I got some high quality "B" complex and it started to help.It's been a month and my liver although much better is not happy and is sensitive to almost everything I eat or drink.My doctor was on vacation and has returned now.I'm going to asked for tests to ascertain my liver function going forward.Can you add anything to this here,thanks Rick :)
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

you need more extensive liver testing such as AST, ALT, LDH, GGTP and liver ultrasound or liver MRI scan to check the status of your liver.

you could have had a left kidney stone cause pain.

you need to stay away from alcohol completely at this point and avoid acetamenophen and tylenol. I know that can be hard to do, but you have taxed and damaged your liver before with the hepatitis A infection

and if you want to keep your liver functioning, you have to stop wine and alcohol.

some people use milk thistle to help their liver, but there is not much data to support this.

taking vitamin B and milk thistle does not mean you are able to drink alcohol and wine.

I am glad you are abstaining from alcohol.

let em know if you have questions.