Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

10 weeks ago I came down with the following symptoms.

Customer Question

10 weeks ago I came down with the following symptoms. Malaise, profuse sweating, extreme weakness, rapid heart beat of 100 to 110. Some breathing problems. This all started with an abscess tooth. My G P advise me to go to the E R. They did an EKG, Ex-ray and C T Scan of my lungs, and numerous blood test, and finally a culture on my Sputum. All negative. I have had several antibiotics and a massive dose of Prednisone which I hate and am weening myself off of. My red blood count is a little high at 18.6 and I'm on testosterone therapy. Will you offer some possibilities of what has caused me to go from a very active 68 years old in good shape to a listless blob in ten short weeks?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Of course we can not diagnose you, but an abscess in the tooth can persist despite antibiotics.

Sometimes, even if the tooth is pulled, infection can remain.

I would have this possibility addressed.

The ER is not the place to get a complex diagnosis and you should be working with an internal medicine doctor.

A high red cell count must be interpreted along with hemoglobin.

Elevations can mean:

dehydration

lung disease

heart disease

kidney tumor

other causes.

These should all be considered.

In addition, a CT of the jaw can be done: any remaining infection needs aspiration for culture.

Resistant infection is possible.

I also suggest an echo cardiogram to look for heart valve infection.

I am a double board certified US doctor. I am here daily and you can find me in medical any day for accurate, fast, safe and comprehensive answers. Use my request lock and "for Dr. Thomas only" in the title. This will safe you time and give you accurate information.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.