Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have an earache and headache that I am told is caused by

Customer Question

I have an earache and headache that I am told is caused by severe jooint deterioration in the ball of my jaws, resulting in my bite being terrible. Lately, I have felt a tiny droplets running into the same ear. Almost daily there is a white crust on the outside of my ear.Occasionally, I have double vision without my glasses. These may all be unrelated. None but the headaches/earaches are severe. What type of doctor s hould I see? So far, I have gone to my dentist who treats my TMJ with a splint. During the summer, the same ear felt very muffled and I went to a clinic and they said there was no infection. Since the weather has become cooler, my ear no longer feels muffled, but I feel like something is in it and I can feel drops of liquid running into my ear, but the outside of my ear is not wet, but a day later there is a white crusty stuff in my ear that is annoying. What is this and what do I do to clear it up? Is it cnnected to my other problelms? I have Hashimotos thyroiditis.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Since how long are you having this problem?

Are you on any medications for anything currently.

Please let me know.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My apologies. I did respond to your questions last night from my tablet, but I guess I didn't know how to respond correctly. I am currently taking Synthroid and Cytomel daily. I have been on thyroid medication for 24 years for Hashimotos Thyroiditis. I take vitamins daily (A, B, C, D, E and Krill). Other than that, occasionally when my headache/earache flare up (from the TMJ I'm told) I take either Migralex or Naprosyn. Thank you for reaching out again. I just thought this was a scam.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your response.

The periodic headache and the earache that you are experiencing is most likely all related to the degeneration of your temporomandibular joint (TMJ) as that can not only cause headache but also cause earache as well.

I am not sure exactly what's causing your "tiny droplets" in the ear particularly since you were examined by an ENT doctor who must have also examined your eardrums and found them to be normal, which is the main thing that we look at whenever there is a discharge in the ears.

The one possibility is that comes to my mind is that it may be that your glands inside the ear are secreting fluid a little too much (seborrhea).

So I think that the main problem in your case is your TMJ problem and once you have the pain of TMJ controlled your headache and earache should go away and you should continue follow up with the TMJ expert which should take care of your earache and headache if that is treated appropriately.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end.

Kind regards