DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

My boyfriend is quitting smoking meth, time addict, has not

Customer Question

My boyfriend is quitting smoking meth, long time addict, has not smoked in last week and is withdrawing. Is there anything I can do to help him without inclucding medical help?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

Good to know that he has taken this initiative and that you are coping with the withdrawal and are willing to help.

I would suggest that you do not administer any prescription drugs like Adderall or Benzodiazepines, as in such a situation, unsupervised administration of these can aggravate the situation, instead of helping.

I would suggest that your boy friend keeps himself well hydrated, eats well and rests as much as possible. You should postpone any stressful and upsetting conversations till the end of the first 3 weeks. He can seek help from his physician for Ativan or Klonopin if the initial withdrawal symptoms become intolerable.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Let me know if there any other queries related to this.

Best.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Meth withdrawal is dangerous by definition.

He should not do it unsupervised.

A medication called clonidine is non addicting and can help with symptoms, if indicated by examination.

In short, there is no way for him to do this safely on his own.

I am a double board certified US doctor.

Dr. Thomas

Find me in medical daily by request for accurate and safe answers.

Please click a positive rating.