Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have been prescribed ambien on and off years now. This all

Customer Question

I have been prescribed ambien on and off for three years now. This all started when I lost my father. I had night terrors and I was too scared to go back to sleep. I have also tried ambien cr, restiril, Xanax, trazadone and every single over the counter sleeping medicine possible and nothing works. I am in nursing school and I can't keep living like this. My poor psychiatrist probably thinks I'm crazy. Please help. I exercise and do yoga and eat healthy and everything.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Are you asking for suggestions for other medicines to consider?

Is your Psychiatrist continuing to try medicines to help with this situation?

If so, what medicines have been most recently tried?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm looking for new medications to try. Recently we tried restiril which did not work at all. Tried Xanax recently and increased the dose and that did not work at all. Trazadone never worked, it just kinda made me go insane.

Have you been tried on any other antidepressants, particularly ones that work by a different mechanism than the trazodone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I take Prozac and lamictal. I've been on Prozac since I was 15

Thank you for the additional information.

The usual next medicine that I would consider in someone that has been tried on the various medicines that you have used would be a different antidepressant that works by a different mechanism. And it would specifically be appropriate to consider an antidepressant that is more sedating, such as mirtazapine. There also are certain medicines that are used to augment antidepressants, that also work by a different mechanism that can be considered such as Seroquel or Abilify. These latter medicines are usually reserved for people with more severe symptoms because of possible side effects, but in someone with more severe and persistent symptoms, it may be an appropriate consideration.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I completely forgot, I took abilifu as well. It cause me to gain weight and I felt as if it did nothing for me. My first antidepressant I took was lexapro

Lexapro is an SSRI, just as the Prozac is an SSRI. Since you have already tried the Abilify, that is obviously not an option at this point. At this point, it would be reasonable to consider a different antidepressant, such as the mirtazapine noted above.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
considering all of the actual sleeping meds you think it will actually let me sleep

It certainly is one of the most sedating antidepressants and would work for most people. However, there is no medicine that works for 100% of people, and it is impossible to know ahead of time who will respond and who will not.

Is there any additional information that would be helpful?

Please let me know is I can provide any further assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just feel like all of the different types of antidepressants and anxiety meds that that is not what it is. Half of the time my doctors tell me to take them in the morning Bc they will keep me up at night. Other than that hs there any sleep medicine beside what I have already tried that you would suggest.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I'm cranky. Not sleeping puts you in a bad mood

There are no other primary sleep medicines that would commonly be considered in this situation and that work by a different mechanism than the sleep medicines that you have already tried. You have already been tried on several different benzodiazepines, and there is no logic in trying another benzodiazepine. Older sleep medicines, such as the barbiturates and meprobamate, are generally avoided in people with depression.

There are other antidepressants beyond the mirtazapine that I noted above, but the mortazapine has the advantage of being the most sedating.