Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have been experiencing vertigo/dizziness ten days. I have

Customer Question

I have been experiencing vertigo/dizziness for about ten days. I have been to urgent care
where they prescribed meclizine, 25 mg and diazepam, 5 mg. I am supposed to take the
meclizine three times per day with the diazepam two hours after I take the meclizine. I saw
my primary care doctor yesterday and she said it is a virus and may last up to three weeks.
I am miserable, however, the two medications help some. She also prescribed Afrin but not
to be taken more than three days. Any suggestions? We have tickets to go to California
for Thanksgiving next Tuesday. Unsure whether we can go.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

if you are having runny nose and sinus congestion, you should be on an antibiotic for a possible bacterial sinus infection which is known to cause dizziness and vertigo and headaches. you should see a doctor at the urgent care or ER or your primary care doctor to get you on a course of antibitoics.

African should only be used for 2-3 days

but you can use allergy medications like Allegra, Zyrtec, Claritin daily, and also steroid nasal sprays like Nasocort (over the counter) and prescription Nasonex and Flonase to decrease inflammation in your sinuses.

you can also use Sudofed once or twice a day to help with sinus congestion.

you can use antihitamines like Benadryl at night time.

it may not be a viral sinus infection. it could be a bacterial sinus infection.

I would get on a course of antibiotics this week just to be sure you are not sick still next week.

try the over the counter treatments I mentioned as well

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com