Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Can a person be a carrier without having the disease? My

Customer Question

Can a person be a carrier for pnemonia without having the disease? My wife is recovering from pnemonia. My father is 85 years old and in poor health. I am concerned that when I visit my father and do his laundry and shopping, that I will be a carrier of pnemonia and he will get sick. I have developed a small cough but that is it.
Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Basically pneumonia is caused by many organisms, and it is possible to be infected with pneumonia and not having or having only mild symptoms. In this case the pneumonia isn't severe enough to require bed rest or hospitalization, and may feel like just having a cold.

However in your case if you are worried that you have caught the infection from your wife and then transmit it to your father, the chances of this happening are low. This is because your wife is infected with pneumonia causing organism which is symptomatic in most cases, and if you had it you would also have expressed the symptoms. Therefore do take the precautions such as washing your hands regularly or you may use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. This will avoid transferring germs to objects. Please cough or sneeze into a tissue or your arm sleeve instead of your hands, then throw the used tissues away immediately, in a bin or toilet since germs can live for several hours after they leave your nose or mouth.

Also consult your fathers doctor so that he gets all the recommended vaccines.

Take care.