Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I am thirty years old and have two children under the age of

Customer Question

Hi Dr. I am thirty years old and have two children under the age of three. I went for a routine checkup about 6 weeks ago and the dr. Called me back to discuss my bloodwork. He mentioned that the white blood cell count was slightly elevated and as a precaution he wanted me to retake the test. I took it, and once again he said the white blood cell count was high and that there were some immature cells showing. He had me
Make an appointment with a specialist which I have set. He reassured me that there is nothing to be concerned about and that this is just precautionary, and could even be machine error. I have tried to reasearch a little about immature blood cells and it seems to me that the main causes for this is typically leukemia. I have been on edge for the past two weeks about this and have not told Anyone. Is this a real possibility or can there be other less serious causes to immature white blood cells? Is machine error a typical issue with blood work?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

I have reviewed your history above. It would help to know more details as to your white cell count and the breakdown of the numbers of the different subtypes of white cells ....It sounds more likely to me that you may be fighting an infection to cause the abnormal findings

If neutrophils were high with many band forms then that would indicate that your bone marrow was probably responding to some bacterial infection...not necessarily leukemia ..

It is most hopeful in your detail that your white count was "SLIGHTLY ELEVATED"-- that is not usually the case with a leukemia ...usually very ELEVATED in such a case ....

Of lymphocyte count is high portion then viral infection could be cause

If eosinophil count ELEVATED then a parasitic infection could be cause...

Infection sources may not always be obvious. ..possible sources could include intestinal tract, urinary tract, pulmonary system or sinuses ...

I think a patholgust to review blood smear would be in order if not already ordered ( this takes machine error out of picture )

I think that inflammatory markers may be ordered ( sed rate and C-reactive protein)

You may have been referred to a hematologist for further review ...

An SPEP = serum protein electrophoresis may be ordered to check for abnormal spike of one type antibody for example ....

Premalignant type abnormality more possible I think than leukemia but I more suspect some infection as cause even though it may not be obvious ...

There are several possibilities to case such as yours ...

I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dr. Did mentioned that the lymphocyte portion is what is higher.

Hello again--

You should be checked for mono as a possible cause .. Mono caused by EBV virus causes ELEVATED lymphocytes and may cause more immature forms as well....MONO often may last weeks or months and at times longer ...

I agree with steps to take a closer look at your situation and cause but try to stay calm and follow through ...it is not at all Any foregone conclusion of leukemia or other so serious cause ...true that some abnormality of marrow blood cell production needs to be ruled out as part of the testing process ....again I think that the SLIGHTLY high description is most hopeful that your case is not as bad a case as you fear here ....

I hope that this helps .Let me know if you have further questions.Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD

PS the general condition of the abnormal high lymphocyte count is called LYMPHOCYTOSIS

You may read further on causes of this at the site >>

http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/lymphocytosis/basics/causes/sym-20050660

I hope that this is helpful for you. Let me know if you have further questions or concerns. Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD