Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Three weeks ago I attended a doctor in with a constant cough

Customer Question

Three weeks ago I attended a doctor in with a constant cough and whezz. Got antibotics and an inhaler and two hours later I was vomiting up yellow stuff, headache, coughing. Anyhow went back to the doctor and was given an injection to stop the vomiting.. my blood pressure was also at 200 (I'm severly overweight at 21 stone which doesn't help). Anyhow I was given option then to wait at clinic for 30 min or go to the hospital. My husband insisted I go to hospital.
Arrived to hospital- my blood pressure was still high and was still coughing and wheezing. Had the heart tracer, bloods done and got tablets and felt a bit better. Was in hospital from the Thursday to the Monday and during that time I was on the nuebliser three times a day, got steroids three times a day through the IV, was on two diferent antibotics. Had chest x-day which showed up a bad chest infection so I was also put on a steroid inhaler twice a day. Along with the chest x- ray I had a kidney scan which came back clear and also done the 24 hour urine collection. Bloods came back that I had high cholesterol which is my own fault I know but I joined slimming class last week and trying to eat right.
At the time the doctor told me he would give me a few months to try and brinh my cholestral down and I'm see months I would have to have another blood test to check and if still high I would have to go on tablet. (I'm 33 years old)
Worringly enough my blood pressure was up from the Thu to the Monday...it was always up at the 190's bar the time the doctor gave me a blood pressure tablet Which brought it down to 170's.. when left the hospital on that monday the doc didn't want to put me on blood pressure tablet as I've never had high blood pressure before and theyfelt maybe it's because of all the medication I am on coupled with the chest infection which is fair enough. however they said i would have to go on the 24 hour blood peessure monitor..So the doctor in the hospital wrote to my own doctor in when I was discharged on Monday the 9th of nov and LGH signed me off work until 18th November and I went back to work on the Wednesday (last wed) and felt ok but drained..(also suffer from depression and am on an anti depressant ).. Thursday I went to work and could feel a sore head coming on..and when I woke on Friday I knew I shouldn't have gone to work but I did.. I felt awful.. drained..sick..thought was going to vomit and the only way to describe the head ache I had was severe... Anyhow left work at 3.30 Friday to go back to doctor and my blood pressure was at 197.. took a 5mg blood pressure tablet and went home and rested for the day but am stressing about my blood pressure and of course the weight I have let myself get to which isn't helping. So my doctor told me to go back on Saturday morning for another blood pressure check and my blood pressure was down to 174. Was told to take 2 x 5mg tablets on the Sunday morning and to go back to doctor to have fasting bloods taken and also blood pressure and at that point I might have to go on the blood pressure monitor for 24 hours. Having taken the 10mg blood pressure tablet yesterday I felt tired, drained, faint and a bit sick all day yesterday. And I uni I'm worrying and stressing about it all also.. and I feel a bit down in the dumps and withdrawn from everyone (which I think is the depression cropping up which it does from time to time) I feel worn out and emotional .. so I didn't go to work today coz I'm scared my blood pessure will go sky high and to be honest I don't have the energy to be listening to customers roaring down the phone at me.
So yeah - I just am not happy with my own doctor to be honest and yet I wonder is there anything else that can be done or am I expecting too much
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hell from JustAnswer.

I am sorry that you have had so many health problems.

Which blood pressure medicine have you been taking at 5 mg and 10 mg doses?

Could you list all of the medicines that you are currently taking?

Do you have the numbers of the elevated cholesterol?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For blood pressure im on 10my of ramipril teva pharma and for depression I'm on 10mg of citalopram.I asked doctor in hospital about the cholestral but he just said it's very high
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was in 5mg of ramipril teva pharma on Friday and went up to 10mg on sunday

At this point, the interventions that have been done by your doctor appear to be appropriate. The ramipril is a good blood pressure medicine and usually does not cause a person to feel drained. There are certain blood pressure medicines that can commonly cause fatigue as a side effect, but the ramipril is not one of these drugs.

It would be more likely that you are feeling drained because of all of the various acute illnesses that you have sustained. Any chest infection can knock a person down for a period of time, and it may take a period of rest to fully recuperate. It is also common for an acute illness to place significant stress on the body, so can cause a worsening of the blood pressure. It may be that your blood pressure may return to the baseline level before you were acutely ill, but since the blood pressure has been over 180, it is appropriate to be using medicines for control of any acute worsening related to the acute illness. For long term management of blood pressure, our goal is to get the blood pressure to normal, i.e., around 120-140, but when dealing with sudden worsening related to an acute illness, the primary goal is to keep the blood pressure out of the dangerous range, so at least keep it below 180.

The cholesterol levels may also ultimately need to be treated, but it would be appropriate to allow time to recover from the acute illness and then follow a good diet and exercise regimen before deciding whether to treat the cholesterol.

If I can provide any other information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just feel stressed by it all to be honest... I just worry that I am going to die.. would it be acceptable to ask the doctor to be signed off work for 5 days?

Any significant chest infection can be serious, but you are past the period of danger. Yes, it would be reasonable to ask for 5 days off work to allow for rest and recuperation. Some people bounce back quicker than others, so it is not universally needed, but it is reasonable to be off work for a while when someone is still feeling drained and worn out.

Is there any additional information that would be helpful?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I binge eat will it be dangerous?I'm still wheezing slighly at night why is that?Have pains in my...lung area
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forgot to ask also the fasting bloods that I've to have done on Wed morning - I never asked why this been done. Do you have any idea

Binge eating is not healthy, but it is not acutely dangerous. The night time wheezing may be some residual inflammation from the infection. It can take weeks and months for all of the changes on an x-ray to clear up. It is also possible that a recent infection can cause some asthma type spasm of the airways.

They are checking labs to recheck any abnormalities in the hospital, but it is not clear why it is being done this Wed morning.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought maybe the blood check had something to do with cholestral recheck. I am watching what I am eating now..Sometimes I feel like I've heart burn also and again I think this is bad

Usually there would be a longer trial of lifestyle management before rechecking the cholesterol.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm just drained.. don't know how i will ask doctor to give me sick cert for week.

You just need to be honest with your doctor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I get help from another expert please