Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I take 2mg of prazosin. My blood pressure is 117/73 right

Customer Question

I take 2mg of prazosin for PTSD. My blood pressure is 117/73 right now. It's my first time taking it. how low will it make my blood pressure if it's 117/73. I just wanted to make sure I will be ok and my blood pressure won't go to low while I'm sleeping.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Basically the drug is well tolerated by patients of all ages, even at higher dosages. Hence a low dose of 2 mg though effective for PTSD will have fewer side effects. For lowering of blood pressure this medication is given in a dosage of 6-15 mg. And the side effect that is most common and that may occur is transient dizziness and mild orthostatic hypotension symptoms. This is a form of low blood pressure that happens when you stand up from sitting or lying down, and can make you feel dizzy or lightheaded. Hence be careful not to stand up too fast. Even this side effect usually stops when your body is used to prazosin.

Therefore please do not worry, your blood pressure will not go down to dangerous levels while you are sleeping and your body has in built mechanisms which will maintain your blood pressure at all times despite this low dosage of prazosin.

Take care.

Please rate with five stars if satisfied with the answer. If you need further clarifications please reply.

Thanks.