DrDon
DrDon, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Thirty-three years Full-Time ER Practice; Multiple Awards for Contribution to Medical Care
23529304

My finger became swollen. I have been in intense pain. Went

Customer Question

my finger became swollen. I have been in intense pain. Went to urgent care and they stated I might have had a splinter from pressure treated wood under my nail. They gave me doxy. It has been 3 weeks now. swelling has gone down very little. Where it did go down(top of nail) i punctured and released puss. Bottom part of finger is now turning white but also has what looks like blood blisters in the skin. Where i puncutered it continues to bleed every now and then but also some puss come out. Not sure what to do. Finger is still tender and cannot bend it all the way..
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

you need to see an infectious disease doctor and get that pus cultured in a lab to see what bacteria is growing under the skin

some infections can be resistant to certain antibiotics such as doxycycline. you might need another type of antibiotic to help clear this infection

you should rest the finger for now and avoid wood work as much as you can

you should elevate the finger up on a pillow above your heart as often as you can to help decrease swelling and pressure.

you can also ice the finger to decrease pain and swelling.

it doesn't sound like you have had a skin or wound culture yet by your doctors.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

do you have other questions?

Expert:  DrDon replied 1 year ago.

You need to pay attention to this promptly, getting more definitive help. Would actually suggest going to an emergency room, if one is nearby. You have what appears to be a severe infection in the spaces that exist in the end of the finger. From that you could develop a more extensive problem, even with potential loss of tip. In cases like yours, often the nail has to be removed (it does grow back), and the infection cleared by physical means, since antibiotics are often not sufficient. Suggest you get it taken care of properly so you can continue to work.

Expert:  DrDon replied 1 year ago.

Also, Eric, a diagnostic term often applied to what you may have is a "felon." Look it up ("finger felon"). It has this name because the infection becomes trapped in the rigid spaces of the fingertip, like a prisoner that cannot escape. It needs a specialized form of care, and you need to have it looked at , soon.