Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am a 48 yea old woman. i am still menstruating and my

Customer Question

Hi I am a 48 yea old woman. i am still menstruating and my cycle is fairly regular usually 28 days one month 31 days the next month. I have recently had a lot of bloating , abdominal distension, gurgling in my bowels and watery explosive diarrhoea after eating. I have had digestive issues for many years but they have worsened in the last 6 months. I have no bleeding between periods but do have brownish discharge usually around ovulation but again that has been happening for years.
I have recently had bllod tests ( last week) which have shown fatty liver, raised Triclerides and anaemia with variation to the haemoglobin levels and shapes of the cells. In addition I have had an upper abdominal ultrasound which has shown prominent fatty liver and a cyst in my left kidney which my doctor wasn't too concerned about. i am currently ion a weight loss program as i am also mildly hypertensive and she suggested that the liver and triclerides would most likely be sorted by changes in eating and weight loss. The main issue is my blood test showed elevated CA 125 levels of 40 . In addition , today I have had a pelvic ultrasound and they wanted to also do an internal vaginal ultrasound which i agreed to. I didn't get the report just the films. What I can see is that the endmeyrial walls look very thick and they have additional pictures of the left adnexa which shows three large shapes. there are no pictures of the right adnexa. I am worried this is classic ovarian cancer. Could you shed any light on other possibilities ???? Thanks kim
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

The most common other cause of these visible masses in the adnexa would be benign ovarian cysts. Once yuo have the formal report, then the description by the Radiologist may suggest a specific cause.

It is worth noting that a mildly elevated CA 125 level could be related to many other conditions, including liver disease. An adnexal mass associated with a significantly elevated CA125 of >65 is significantly associated with cancer, but since your level is not this elevated, there is not as strong a correlation with the risk for cancer.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay but the epithelial wall also looks really thick is that to do with age ? And what about the diaries and bowel
Issues and anaemia are they related ?

There is not sufficient information to be able to say. Interpretation would depend upon the measurement of the endometrial wall and the details of the blood count. The bowel symptoms could be related to ovarian disease, but also could be related to liver disease.