Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I received HSV-2 diagnosis about 8-10 years ago. I have had

Customer Question

I received HSV-2 diagnosis about 8-10 years ago. I have had three definite and maybe a fourth outbreak in that time. I am now on a regimen of 500 mg valocyclovir daily.
I just saw my infectious disease doctor for semi-annual testing. Lab work pending. She told me that with my history, and the regimen I am on, the likelihood of my transmitting the virus while having unprotected sex is in the low single digit percentages.
Can you confirm that?
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

It is true. Suppressive therapy led to a significant reduction in overall acquisition of genital HSV-2 infection in the uninfected partner (1.9 versus 3.6 percent). Valacyclovir use was also associated with fewer days of viral shedding (2.9 versus 10.8 percent of days) and fewer recurrences of genital herpes (0.11 versus 0.40 per month) in the infected source partner.