Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I was in the hospital in September of this year disease. My

Customer Question

I was in the hospital in September of this year for Parkinson disease. My blood showed I was slightly anemic. I just took another blood test with my primary doctor. It showed hemoglobin at 10.9, hematocrit at 33.9, platelet at 115. I'm being referred to a hematologist. What should be my concerns?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

low hemoglobin of 10.9 can be due to low iron and low ferritin iron stores in your system.

your doctors should check your ferritin levels and iron and TIBC total iron binding capacity to see if your iron levels are low.

if they are low, you might need iron supplements or iron infusions to help bring up your levels.

your doctors should also check your stools for blood if your hemoglobin levels are low. some patients can have bleeding ulcers or bleeding polyps or bleeding diverticulosis in their bowels which can cause loss of blood over time and cause low red blood cell counts.

platelets are a bit low, but not in dangerous range and should be watched with repeated blood tests in the future.

these are the most common issues.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

do you have any other questions?