Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have to speak to a doc about something I do not want put

Customer Question

I have to speak to a doc about something I do not want put in the EMR.
How do doctors handle this? what are my options? Thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

A doctor is obligated to document any encounter with a patient, which is by definition an entry into the medical record.

Could you clarify what type of issue you want to address and how you want to limit that information?

I asked for some clarification and have not heard back.

The details of the situation are necessary, because there are certain accommodations that can be made to accomplish certain goals. For example, if your concern is that the diagnosis may get entered into an insurance database, then you can make arrangements with your doctor and office that you will be seen on a cash basis, so that there is no filing of an insurance claim.

If you can provide details of what you are trying to accomplish, then I can better discuss what you need to request from your doctor.