Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

This question is mate who is 66 years old He has been having

Customer Question

This question is for my mate who is 66 years old He has been having symptoms of gastrointestinal discomfort ad bloating after meals. Some things cause it to be worse then others. He just had a complete GI and cat scan with nothing showing. He thinks it is is SIBO. It is very bad when he has wheat or fructose and is there no matter what he eats. The cat scan showed slight diviticulitus. He has had 2 colonoscopies with no dramatic findings. He has no blood i stools and goes to the bathroom about 4 x a day he says. His apetite is fine but, he is afraid to eat anything. He goes to the gym and his energy level is fine. He does have enlarged prostate and does not sleep well anyways. He is trying to find a hydrogen test. He has been on antibiotics for prostate infections off and on for a long time. . A recent blood test did show slight white blood cells and a bit of blood sugar elevation but nothing dramatic. There are no real other tests and no one really has a clue except pro-biotics
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Does he have any other medical problems?

Is he currently on any medications for anything?

Can you please enumerate all the medications, if any, that he is currently taking or has tried for this particular problem?

How are his bowel movements?

Please let me know.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He moves his bowels 4 x a day but it is a normal movement. He took Xifaxin for a month and some herbal remedies and prilosec for the gastritis. He has no other pressing medical issues. Cancer has been ruled out. He does have spinal arthritis and very low rated prostate cancer. Everythig has been looked at-- Infectious disease, gastro, NOBODY KNOWS
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 7 months ago.

I think that you could be having what is called as gastroparesis which, in simple words means a lazy stomach that cannot effectively move food forward into the gastrointestinal tract.

I would have given you something like reglan (metoclopramide) 10 mg three times daily before meals, if you have not tried that already.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options when you are done asking.

Kindest regards

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This is what has been done so far
Cat scan Nothing
Gallbladder Mild slow dysfunction
liver nothing
Celiac Endosocopy- no blood test maybe
Lactose - no
MRI, all kinds of Xrays
Xfalxin for SIBO mild improvement
Caprillic acid
Prilosec
Zoloft
A medication for Blood Pressure
He did fall down the stairs and has a butt injury
and spinal arthritis
I read this can cause a mess up in the nerve messages and maybe bloating
This has gone on since October
Checked for Parasites- stools 4 X nothing
Indigestion after a restaurant then the bloating came on--- Could be non related?
Beans make it worse... Nothing else seems to make a difference
ALWAYS WORSE AFTER EVENING MEAL AND EARLY EVENING USUALLY AROUND 8PM
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Why would he have this if he moves his bowels 4x a day?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 7 months ago.

Have you tried taking something like reglan?

Please let me know.