Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have pain and swelling in the calf of my leg.I also have

Customer Question

I have pain and swelling in the calf of my leg.I also have pain and swelling above my knee I also have pain in my thigh and and times it feels like muscle spams in my thigh.I had a test a week ago for blood clots an no blood clots where found.I hope you
can help me as I am worried about cancer.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Did you have a doppler ultrasound to check for blood clots in the leg veins?

If nor, then this is required.

Cancer is not likely since you do not have any significant weight loss, swollen glands, abdominal swelling, or severe anemia.

Most likely possibility besides blood clots is the incompetent leg veins.

Vein disease happens when the veins in the legs do not work the right way. Normally, the veins in the legs carry blood from the legs back to the heart. The veins have tiny valves inside them to help keep blood moving in only one direction (toward the heart). The valves open to let blood flow to the heart, and close to keep it from flowing back down the leg. Vein disease can happen when the valves are damaged or do not work well. This causes blood to collect in the legs. Blood is especially likely to collect in the legs when a person sits or stands for a long time without walking.

Compression stockings or devices will help.

“Compression stockings” are special socks that fit tightly over the ankle and leg. If your doctor or nurse recommends that you wear them, he or she will tell you which type to wear and how to put them on.

•“Compression bandages” are layers of bandages that wrap around a person’s leg.

•A “compression pump” is a device that fits around the leg and squeezes the leg every few minutes.

Also diuretics like furosemide, and low salt diet will help as well.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/