Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I just had my Thyroid checked as well as my adrenal levels.

Customer Question

I just had my Thyroid checked as well as my adrenal levels. My TSH was 3.33 and Free T4 was .86. I have several symptoms of Hypothyroidism. My DHEA was low, b12 was on the low end of normal (312) and my Cortisol levels started elevated then tanked by the 4pm saliva test. Is this all from my adrenals like my dr has said or should I push on the Thyroid issue?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologist in 2001 suggested new normal levels for TSH levels to be between 0.3 and 3.0

so some endocrinologist will consider TSH levels above 3.0 to be hypothyroid

you should see an endocrinologist about your thyroid, you might benefit from a low dose of thyroid hormone to get your TSH levels between 0.3 and 3.0

cortisol normally is highest in the morning and naturally declines as the day goes on. that is what happens normally for cortisol.

if you are having fatigue, you should also get your iron and ferritin levels checked.

and also estrogen levels checked as well

you could be having some early menopause and decline of your estrogen levels which can cause fatigue as well.

you might benefit from regular exercise and eating healthier diets as well

let me know if you have questions.

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Your thyroid function is normal.

No problem there.

However your DHEA is low suggesting low circulating androgens produced from adrenal glands.

Also your cortisol level tanked in the afternoon suggesting adrenal gland insufficiency.

You need further adrenal evaluation.

Please do see an endocrinologist soon.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

you need more testing before we can say you have low circulating cortisol levels from your adrenal glands.

you need an AM cortisol level and ACTH level

and you might need a ACTH stimulation tests to check the function of your adrenal gland.

low adrenal cortisol hormone secretion or adrenal insufficiency is a rare condition.

most people's adrenal glands work properly.

but thyroid hormone abnormalities are much more common.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com