How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Uzair Your Own Question
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 6579
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Uzair is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have pain in the right side in the ribs and it radiates

Customer Question

I have pain in the right side in the ribs and it radiates into back..I have no gallbladder. also I have had a bowell reconstruction 2 years ago,,it is tender to the vomitting or bowel problems eating..what could this be
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

If you have had your gall bladder removed and have had a bowel surgery done, then this could be due to adhesions (scarring and bands in the abdominal cavity after surgery) in the abdominal cavity. Most of the upper GI and visceral issues present with loss of appetite and nausea/vomiting. If you do not have these symptoms and just pain then adhesions are something that should be looked in to as a possible cause. I would also suggest that you have an ultrasound done to rule out liver pathology like fatty liver and residual stones in the common bile duct which can occur after gall bladder removal.

If you have heart burn then peptic ulcer should be ruled out.

Other pathologies like cholangitis, pancreatitis etc present with nausea, vomiting, severe pain in the epigastrium or right upper abdomen and fever with chills and rigors (for cholangitis).

You should see your PCP and discuss this with him/her and have your upper abdominal ultrasound and liver function tests done at the earliest to reach a conclusive diagnosis and initiate treatment.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Let me know if there are any queries left unanswered.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what would cause an elevated BUN and blood in urine..could this be what is causing my side pain?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for the details.

An elevated BUN and blood in the urine can be due to kidney conditions for example, kidney infections, stones, cysts, inflammation of the kidneys or the ureter, cystitis etc.

The pain is characteristically intense and severe and present in the flank region or the back and radiates to the groin. Your pain is of different characteristics which are not seen in kidney conditions. However, if you have an Elevated BUN and blood in the urine. You should have an ultrasound kidney, ureter, bladder (KUB) done.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.