Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have not had sex a year. In May I donated blood and had

Customer Question

I have not had sex for over a year. In May I donated blood and had clean/negative tests for any diseases. In Early April I had liposuction procedure to remove fat from my throat area. Two weeks after the procedure I developed a rash on my throat. The surgeon dismissed the rash as unrelated. In September I donated blood again and was informed I tested positive for syphilis. The procedure is the only invasive thing that I have done. Is it possible to contract the syphilis bacteria from contaminated cannula or improperly sterilized equipment?
A from California
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your post.

There is no chance of getting any of the STDs in the way that you have mentioned.

The syphilis test can be positive for years and years. So you may have gotten the infection a few years back and the positive test does not mean a recent infection.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand your response, however I also understand false negative tests for syphilis are very rare. I had a negative test for syphilis from the blood bank in May. I know there have been cases of contracting bacterial infections from infected cannulas. It's not possible that an outpatient clinic didn't follow good infectious disease controls? Maybe the person before me had syphilis?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

It is not possible for you to get syphilis from the outpatient department, that is for sure.

Even if the person had syphilis it is not transmitted in this way.

I personally think that you should have a confirmatory test done for syphilis after the screening test was found to be positive if you have not had that done already.

If you have not had sex there are only two possibilities:

1. Either the first test was wrong

2. The second test was wrong.

So a confirmatory test will let us know.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please rate me by clicking on one of the stars.

Kind regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

This session is open for any number of further questions.

I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the stars as that is the only way I am credited here for helping you out.

Kind regards