Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have been diagnosed with pneumonia in a portion of my

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with pneumonia in a portion of my right lobe. Initlailly I had fever, cough, chills. I was first prescribed Clarithromycin for 10 days, I got better but was still coughing. Follow up radiographs showed my lung had cleared. I started to cough more 2 days after and had lung sounds again so now I am on another round of antibiotics (7 days on Levofloxacin). I am not febrile, I just feel tired and am coughing. Is this normal. I am just worried.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Well pneumonia can be a stubborn and dangerous type infection. It does need to be treated aggressively and follow up is necessary to demonstrate healing and good recovery....

Having a relapse is not what I would characterize as "normal" but it does occur. It is not that rare. We routinely want to follow up and get xrays of any patient diagnosed with pneumonia to ensure good and complete response to treatment ...

Do you smoke ? That increases risk of pneumonia ...Do you have any pulmonary conditions such as asthma ? That may be complicated by pneumonia.

Levofloxacin is a good BROAD spectrum antibiotic. The respiratory infection should respond ...

I would advise follow up exam and repeat chest xray as you finish this round of treatment ...hopefully you will see steady improvement with this.

I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure if it was really a relapse or just I never fully recovered. Would you say Levofloxaxin is a better choice of ABX compared to Clarithromycin? Is it possible to have lingering symptoms as the lungs are still inflamed?I do not smoke nor do I have asthma. Its been 3 weeks since this all started.

Hello again,

Yes it is possible to have lingering inflammation...a lingering cough for several weeks would be common. You should not see an increase in symptoms with recovery and response to antibiotic treatment. Symptoms such as pleuritic pain ( chest pain with taking deep breath or cough ) / fever / shortness of breath / chills/ severe cough such that it keeps you up at night >> these symptoms should be trending better as you respond to treatment

Clarithromycin and levofloxacin are both good and usually effective but yes I would rate the Levofloxacin as generally stronger ....

I will at times prescribe once a day Singulair 10mg a day for 4 weeks in this cicumstance. That medicine is indicated for asthma but it is a leukotriene receptor blocker which helps to reduce airway inflammation.Many practitioners may prescribe a course of tapered prednisone ( a steroid ) for this purpose to reduce inflammation (the helpfulness of one of these options depends on the circumstances and would be more likely to be used if you had wheezing )

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if I may be of further help.

Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you for your reply.
one more thing.....I am feeling better since I started taking the antibiotics again. I guess I just worry that once I finish it will get worse again and this will be an on going thing. I have pretty bad health anxiety and worry about things like this. It will eventually go away right? Can this last for several weeks?

Hello again,

Yes it should gradually clear with yoh taking the antibiotic. You should keep follow up after you finish the antibiotic. Some cough may typically linger for days or weeks after you finish antibiotic due to irritation of airways . You should not see it flare back again but yes ..it happens sometimes but not most --- more likely the second course that you are in will take care of it. Symptoms should all gradually settle back down until you are well again.

I hope that this is helpful for you.Let me know if I may be of further help.Take care!

Anthony Bray MD