Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Over the passed 8 years, I (72 y/o male) have had 12 heart

Customer Question

Over the passed 8 years, I (72 y/o male) have had 12 heart stents placed in the LAD. The last one placed three weeks ago (restenosis). Also the LAD was bypassed about three years ago using a mamary artery; the bypass failed after three months, and the LAD again started supplying sufficient blood flow. ???? I am having chest pains that are concerning to me.
QUESTION: With the number of stents in the LAD, can the stents themselves resrtrct blood flow down through the LAD pathway into the heart mussle? Thus causing pain and damage to the heart mussle?
Thank you,
Robert T.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

No I don't think that it would be accuratr to say that your stents would restrict blood flow ....it may be possible to have restricted blood flow DESPITE stents --- yes to that ...it is also higher risk after a stent to have a heart attack...you can form clot such as the LAD or other arteries...so you may be at higher risk of heart attack in weeks after a stent is done ....the disruption of the inner layers of the heart after can make it more likely to create formation of clot ...

So yes -- chest pain / presure / heaviness/ discomfort you do need to take very seriously and seeming counter to intuition EVEN MORE SO IN FEW WEEKS AFTER A STENT PROCEDURE ....

Ongoing pain / chest discomfort --- symptoms now and ongoing for some time then you should be checked at ER -- the recent PROCEDURE is not a reason to ignore chest pain ...actually just the opposite -- all the more reeasin to get these symptoms checked further !!

I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions.I will be happy to get back with you! If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank you and best regards!

Anthony Bray MD