DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

On sunday, I got my flu shot. I started feeling under the

Customer Question

Hi. So on sunday, I got my flu shot. I started feeling under the weather on Monday afternoon. I took ibuprofen on Monday night. On Tuesday I took it about morNing and night but found out they were expired and 400mg.. I have not eaten since Monday night. My stomach has been hurting a lot - mainly lower stomach area... back pain and headaches. I can't eat anything cuz it won't stay down but I have been drinking a lot of water. Stomach cramps aren't like menstrual cramps. Feels almost like a ulcer. What can I do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

With the symptoms that you are having, you must be seen in the ER to rule out various causes that could be leading to your symptoms.

Pain in the lower stomach area could be due to a number of reasons such as pelvic inflammatory disease or a urine infection or a bowel infection or inflammation (colitis) to name a couple which can all cause the symptoms that you are experiencing.

You may require further tests such as an ultrasound and blood tests along with urine test to look for an infection among other things.

So I would recommend that you be seen ASAP to rule out all these possibilities.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please rate me by clicking on one of the stars.

Kind regards

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I have a different answer.

Pregnancy must be ruled out. You should not go to the ER without this in mind, since you need to avoid any radiation [x ray] until they run a blood test called beta HCG.

You did not say lower abdomen, you said lower stomach with vomtting, typical of pregnancy.

Also typical of ulcer. This would be a serious ulcer of the stomach, or gastritis typically.

gastroenteritis [viral, or bacterial] can cause upper and lower symptoms.

Lower right symptoms with vomitting can indicate appendicitis...a complete emergency.

Also, what has not been mentioned is a reaction to the flu shot, due to the obvious proximity.

If this is the case, it needs to be reported. Most doctors will not tell you this, but up to 15% of those who get this vaccine have vomitting. Here is a complete list of side effects for one of the typical flu vaccines.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/fluarix-side-effects.html

Such reactions are vastly under reported....

See a doctor now with these answers in mind.

I am a double board certified US doctor, and clinician for over 20 years.

find me anytime in medical by request.

Please click a positive rating on my answer page at the top. This answer page. This will make sure that I am the expert getting credit and pay for this answer.

Thanks

dt