DrHoellering
DrHoellering, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor of internal and general medicine self employed
61885400

I need to have an IOL Exchange following a cataract surgery

Customer Question

I need to have an IOL Exchange following a cataract surgery that implanted the wrong lens.
I asked the ophthalmologist who did my surgery how many IOL Exchanges he had done. He said, "around 20." (I don't know how many of those 20 were successful.)
As you know cataract surgery has a very high success rate nowadays; around 95%.
But when you go back in a 2nd time to take the first lens out and put in a different one, that percentage goes way down. To be honest, I am devastated to be facing this surgery.
The longer you wait the harder its is to remove the first lens because its had time to set up, so more dissection around it's edges is needed to remove it. (I watched the whole surgery online.) So I'm in short window to get this done- perhaps in the next 5-6 weeks.
OK. Here is where I need your help. I'm looking for an Ophthalmologist who has done hundreds of these procedures, not just 20. And who has a high success rate. I will travel anywhere in the United States and money is no object. How can I track down such a doctor?
Please help me if you can. I'm a 67 year old male Hospice Nurse, and I cannot stop crying. Please help me.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrHoellering replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

I am Dr. Hoellering and pelased to help you with your question.

Please look at this site: http://health.usnews.com/doctors/location-index/ophthalmologists and look for the doctors in your vicinity. If you click at the name of one of them and scroll down you will find numbers of performed cataract surgeries. If you don't manage, just let me know whereabout you live, and I will find an experienced doctor for you.

I wish you all the luck you need. Please stop crying, everything will be ok.

How are you doing? Did you manage with the list or shall I help you?

Isn’t Justanswer awesome? You ask a question and get an answer from an expert: Quickly, professionally and friendly. Your experts work for a tip to make their help not too expensive for you.

But: If you don’t rate them positively, they don’t even get their tip.

So: If my answer was useful, please allow me as your expert to participate from the money you already payed. You do that by clicking a good rating, and with that you ensure that experts like to be there for you if you need them again.

If something is still not clear: Just feel free to ask! I want you to be happy with me and Justanswer.

Thank you!