DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I'm taking doxycycline as malaria prevention, and have

Customer Question

I'm taking doxycycline as malaria prevention, and have noticed that I've had headaches each day since starting to take it.
I'm in the jungle in Peru now, and it's my only option as an anti malarial. I just wondered if the headaches persist, when should I be worried and see a doctor? How serious can it be and what should I be looking out for?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

It can be a side effect of the doxy

Up to 26% of patients can have that from this drug.

It can also cause problems such as intracranial hypertension, which would cause headache.

If you can see a doctor , you should.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.