Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My medical story I have had Uterine cancer years ago lots of

Customer Question

my medical history I have had Uterine cancer years ago lots of raDIATION RUINED ANAL MUSCLES I would like to take enemas for contipation im 75 years old and heard enemas are healthy but I cant hold enema fluids more the 3 seconds it just spills out my question is am I still getting benefit from taking enema even tho I cant hold it for 5 minutes like I heard is the right way to take an enema
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

I am a radiation oncology doctor

I am sorry you have had problems with your anal muscles.

if using a enema for 3 seconds helps you have a bowel movement, that is fine to use

you should use kegel exercises over time to help strengthen your anal sphincter muscles

have you done kegel exercises before?

you should also ask your doctors for an MRI scan of the pelvis and sacrum to check your sacral nerves and sacral plexus to see if the nerves there are working properly.

if the nerves there are damaged, this can cause weakness of your anal sphincter muscle.

let me know if you have questions.